A couple Fridays ago, Karmyn came to me and showed me what looked like a bug bite on her forearm. I told her she was probably bit by something and washed it off. The next morning it started to get red around it...almost infected looking. We put peroxide on it and thought it would 'fix' the problem. Sunday morning Karmyn awoke and her arm was red, hot, swollen, and hard. At this point I knew it was infected and continued washing it with peroxide. I also gave her Tylenol because she said it hurt. By Sunday evening it has gotten worse, and there was a red line going up her arm coming from the red initial 'bite' area. I was immediately concerned...ready to take her to the ER. We did not have a good experience at our ER in Bucyrus before so I decided to call our family doctor...yes, 7:00 on a Sunday evening and I'm calling the doctor (never done that before). Anyways, he said if she doesn't have a fever that I could wait and bring her first thing in the morning to his office. It was a LOOOONNNGG night. I was up all night with the temporal thermometer taking Karmyn's temperature while she slept. I was so worried for her. She never ran a fever so we went the doc at 8 a.m.
Doctor said she has some kind of infection that got into a bug bite, scrape, scratch, whatever. He said it was definitely infected and gave her a 10-day antibiotic and told me to put warm compresses on it. We did that for a day and she developed what looked like a boil. I was online all that day trying to find out what she had or what caused it and what to expect. Apparently, it looks like she had some kind of staph infection. UGH!! The 'boil' was very painful for Karmyn. While in the bathtub, we accidentally scraped off the scabby part at the top and it started oozing the most disgusting stuff I've ever seen. I'll spare you the gory details and just say it was GRRRROSS!!! Karmyn was screaming in pain and I felt so bad for her. After it was done though, it looked a little better. We continued the antibiotic and warm compresses hoping that we didn't have to do that again. Unfortunately we did, but I made Steve do it this time. After that, the swelling was gone and the redness was much better, but Karmyn was left with a hole in her arm. Today, she is still on the antibiotic and her arm looks better but still healing. We still don't know what happened or how she got the infection...we just pray it doesn't come back!








No comments:
Post a Comment